Ter Stegen wrote: “Today I read the story about Carl Ikeme, a goalkeeper for Nigeria and Wolverhampton, who’s been diagnosed with acute leukaemia. A person I’ve never met but his story affects me and touches my heart.
“I can’t underline how important health is. In sport, it means a lot for every athlete; and it’s not just crucial so that we perform well but our health does affect us mentally also.
“I wish Carl and his family all the strength in the world. I’m sure his team-mates and club will be there too, and all their fans. It’s important to be united! And me too, I offer all my possible support. I’m hoping he can fight like goalkeepers always do, with a calm and positive mind.
“I believe in you, Carl. Be strong. Be brave.”
- Iker Casillas also sent Ikeme his best wishes via Twitter.
- Striker Nouha Dicko:”No words can express how I feel right now. I love you Carl. We are all with you, you are a strong man, a strong wolf. Stay strong bro.”
- Winger Jordan Graham:”Kemes – you’re like a second father to me. The love I have for you I can’t even put into words. Stay strong we are ALL with you bro!”
- Midfielder Dave Edwards:”On and off the pitch you are a role model to so many Carl Ikeme…we are all by you and your family’s side right now and we all love you!”
- Millwall midfielder Jed Wallace:”One of the most genuine people you could wish to meet. Role model on and off the pitch. Stay strong big fella.”
- Norwich winger Matt Jarvis:”Stay strong big man! Wishing you my best!”
- Bolton striker Adam Le Fondre:”Absolutely gutted to hear – one of football’s top guys! My thoughts are with you and your family!!”
- Former Wolves and England midfielder Geoff Thomas was diagnosed with leukaemia in 2003 and, after successfully beating the disease, has taken part in several fundraising efforts to raise awareness and fund research.
‘I know exactly what he’s going through’