Bayern Munich appoint Hasan Salihamidzic as new sporting director

Bayern Munich have named former midfielder Hasan Salihamidzic as the club’s new sporting director.

The 40-year-old Bosnian’s appointment on a three-year deal was announced in a news conference on Monday.

Salihamidzic made over 350 appearances for Bayern during a nine-year spell between 1998 and 200 , winning six Bundesliga titles and one Champions League trophy.

The German champions have not had a sporting director since Matthias Sammer left the club last summer 2016.

Former club captains Philipp Lahm and Oliver Kahn had been among those linked with the role.

“When I was asked if I wanted to I knew immediately that I would,” said Salihamidzic. “When I was here as a player I always gave 100 per cent in every training session and every game, and I’ll do the same now as sporting director. I’ll be available for the players 24 hours a day, seven days a week. I’m really looking forward to the task.”

“Hasan knows Bayern well, he was here as a player for several years,” said Bayern CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge. “He’s a person I wouldn’t have liked to play against because he always worked hard and gave his all. He’s a very loyal and he speaks five languages, so he can speak to all of our players. He’ll be responsible for football and he’ll be the link between the coach and the team and the coach and the club.”

He had subsequent spells at Juventus and Wolfsburg before retiring as a professional in 2012. He has since worked as an ambassador for Bayern and travelled with the club on their recent trip to Asia as part of the Bundesliga World Tour 2017.

Former USA and Swansea manager Bob Bradley appointed manager of LAFC

Expansion club Los Angeles Football Club has appointed Bob Bradley as its first ever manager ahead of the side’s first season in Major League Soccer in 2018, the league confirmed on Thursday.

News of Bradley’s hire broke on Thursday afternoon, when it was first reported by Goal.

It will be Bradley’s first time in MLS since 2006, when he was in charge of now-defunct Chivas USA.

The 59-year-old left the club for the U.S. national team in 2006, a position he held until 2011. Bradley returns to MLS after a six-year stint overseas, most recently with Swansea City.

The New Jersey native spent less than three months in South Wales before being sacked, earning five points in his 11 matches in charge of the Swans.

Prior to his Premier League stint, Bradley narrowly missed out on promotion to Ligue 1 in his 11-month tenure at French second-division Le Havre, and oversaw Norwegian club Stabaek qualify for the Europa League in his two seasons in Baerum.

He also managed the Egyptian national team from 2011 to 2013.

Bradley’s success in MLS dates back to his time in charge of the Chicago Fire, with whom he won an MLS Cup and U.S. Open Cup double in 1998, and picked up a second Open Cup in 2000.

Sigi Schmid replaces sacked Curt Onalfo as coach of LA Galaxy

LA Galaxy have sacked head coach Curt Onalfo with immediate effect, and have replaced him with former LA coach Sigi Schmid, the club confirmed on Thursday.

Onalfo has overseen a dismal run of form as the club sit ninth in the Western Conference on a five-game losing streak with the news of his sacking first reported by the LA Times.

Schmid will sign a contract through to the end of 2018 and will take his first training session on Thursday.

Schmid, who was fired by Seattle Sounders months before they won the MLS Cup under Brian Schmetzer, took charge of the Galaxy for five years from 1999-2004 and won the MLS Cup in 2002.

He has also won the MLS Coach of the Year Award twice, first in 1999 and then again in 2008 when he won the MLS Supporters’ Shield/Cup double with Columbus Crew.

Schmid also won the MLS Supporters’ Shield and four U.S. Open cups with Seattle before he was fired. Onalfo’s assistant Ante Razov will remain with the club but in a different role.

Roma Legend Francesco Totti confirms his retirement and new director role


Francesco Totti has confirmed his retirement as a player by accepting a directorship role with Roma.

The 40-year-old Roman, who represented the Giallorossi for 24 years as a striker, played his last game for the Serie A club in May but his status since had been uncertain as he fielded offers.

In an interview published on Roma’s official website on Monday evening, Totti admitted his illustrious on-pitch career was a thing of the past and that a new life in football management awaited him.

He said: “The end of my playing career was May 28, 2017. That for me was an historic day.

“I’ll carry it with me forever. It will be hard to explain to people the feelings and emotions I felt that day.

“The first part of my life, as a player, has ended but now I’m heading into an equally important part as a manager, hoping to do as well as I did on the field.”

Totti made his debut as a 16-year-old in 1993 and won the Scudetto once, in 2001. His 786th and final appearance for Roma was as a substitute in a 3-2 league win over Genoa at the Olimpico.

He was reportedly close to making a swansong switch to China or Major League Soccer but has instead hung up his boots.

“I never wanted that game to end, that day to end,” said Totti, who is Roma’s all-time leading goalscorer with 307 in all competitions.

“For me it was too important, too significant, too exciting.

“The game has given me so much and I tried to give so much back to the people who have showed me so much love day after day.

“Now I’ll try to make myself available at all 360 degrees, from the youth team to the president. It might take six months, a year, two years… I don’t know how long it will take to find the role I prefer.”

Teddy Sheringham named coach of Atletico de Kolkata; Rene Meulensteen, Steve Coppel get new manager jobs in ISL


Former Manchester United striker Teddy Sheringham has been named head coach of Indian Super League (ISL) franchise Atletico de Kolkata.

The 51-year-old has replaced Spaniard Jose Francisco Molina, who led the club to their second title in three years in his only season as coach.

Sheringham, who won three Premier League titles and the Champions League with United, lasted eight months in his first managerial role with League Two side Stevenage before leaving  the club in February 2016.

Atletico de Kolkata, owned by a consortium including Spanish club Atletico Madrid and ex-India cricket captain Sourav Ganguly, won the first ISL competition in 2014.

Meanwhile, Jamshedpur Football Club, one of the two new entrants, have named another former England and Manchester United player, Steve Coppell, as their manager for the upcoming season. The 62-year-old took Kerala Blasters to the ISL final against Kolkata last year.

And former United assistant coach Rene Meulensteen has been appointed as head coach of Kerala Blasters.

Last week former Aston Villa boss John Gregory  was named in charge of  Chennaiyin FC, succeeding World Cup winner Marco Materazzi who had been in the role for three years.

This year’s revamped five-month competition starts on October 1 with two new teams making it a 10-team league.

Michael Carrick named Manchester United captain


Michael Carrick has been confirmed as the new captain of Manchester United following Wayne Rooney’s exit.

All-time top scorer and captain Rooney’s return to boyhood club Everton after 13 years was confirmed on Sunday.

United boss Jose Mourinho has moved quickly to name a new skipper, with long-serving midfielder Carrick handed the captain’s armband.

“It feels great and it is such a huge honour to captain such a great club,” he told MUTV.

“It is my 12th year now and I came as a 25-year-old. I never thought I could be here for so long and achieve so much.

“Now, to lead the boys and look after the young boys, to guide them in some ways, it is a nice thing and a real pleasure.

“I came to this club as a footballer and I am now a huge fan. I have grown to love the club over the years and to be in this position is very special for me.”
Carrick joined United from Tottenham in 2006 and his contribution was recognised in a testimonial last month.

The 35-year-old is the longest serving player at Old Trafford following Rooney’s exit, although he looked set to leave the club last summer.
A change in management saw Carrick handed a one-year deal, then a further contract extension this summer.

“I will just be myself,” he said of his style of captaincy.

“You can’t change and it is wrong to come into the role and then suddenly change, shouting and screaming at everyone, telling them what to do.

“I am not like that. I will speak when I need to speak but I am quite laid back and chilled out really. I will try to lead by example.”

Latest Football News 

  • ​Lyon striker Alexandre Lacazette completes a medical at Arsenal before his proposed £45m move – a Gunners record.
  • Lionel Messi has reportedly demanded that Barcelona sell four players this summer- Arda Turan, Munir, Thomas Vermaelen and Andre Gomes.

  • Monaco have completed the signing of Feyenoord defender Terence Kongolo, perhaps paving the way for Benjamin Mendy to join Manchester City.

  • Brazilian midfielder Luiz Gustavo has signed a four-year deal for a reported £7m to join Marseille from Werder Bremen.

  • Jaap Stam has pledged his future to Reading by signing a new two-year deal at the Madejski Stadium.
  • Former Burnley defender Michael Duff has been named as the new head coach of the club’s U23 squad.
  • Everton duo Brendan Galloway and Tyias Browning are closing in on loan moves to Sunderland after heading to Wearside for medicals.
  • Sevilla have confirmed they have agreed a deal to sell midfielder Vicente Iborra to Leicester City.
  • Newcastle striker Ayoze Perez has revealed that Spanish giants Real Madrid and Barcelona have enquired after him.
  • Romelu Lukaku’s representatives have suggested the 24-year-old Everton striker would prefer a move to Manchester United rather than Chelsea if he leaves Goodison Park this summer.
  • Manchester United are reportedly set to confirm the signing of Alvaro Morata on Thursday – after it was claimed Real Madrid had finally bowed to pressure and agreed his sale.
  • Alvaro Morata was persuaded to join Manchester United after being promised he would lead their attack this season.
  • Jose Mourinho is frustrated by the club’s failure to add to £31m defender Victor Lindelof so far this summer and his staff were surprised at chief executive Ed Woodward flying to New Zealand to watch the British and Irish Lions’ first Test last month.

  • Leicester City could let Kasper Schmeichel move to Manchester United – if they can tie up a deal for Croatia keeper Lovre Kalinic first.
  • United are scouring  Europe for a potential replacement for David De Gea, who despite the denials, is still expected to sign for Real Madrid this summer.
  • Gareth Bale is loving life in Spain and has no intention of leaving Real Madrid and returning to the Premier League.
  • Former Manchester City transfer target Theo Hernandezis set to finally sign for Real Madrid this week. He will become the first Atletico Madrid player to join Real in 15 years.
  • Real Madrid transfer  target Gianluigi  Donnarumma is expected to sign a new five-year-deal with AC Milan today. The teenager would receive around €6million-per-season and the deal includes two separate release clauses. The price would be €50m if Milan don’t qualify for the 2018/19 Champions League and €100m if they do.
  • Barcelona representatives will travel to London this week in an attempt to push forward talks in their deal to sign Hector  Bellerin from Arsenal this summer.

  • Bayern Munich president Uli Hoeness has suggested the club cannot pay the kind of salary that Alexis Sanchez is reportedly demanding, while adding that he is not aware of any move for the Arsenal man.
  • Olivier Giroud has insisted that he wants to “carry on his good journey” at Arsenal.
  • John Terry admits he intends to one day return to Chelsea as manager after signing for Aston Villa as a player.
  • Turkish giants Besiktas are reportedly ready to make a shock move for Chelsea striker Diego Costa.
  • Galatasaray have reached an agreement with West Ham over the transfer of Sofiane Feghouli.
  • Inter Milan want to sign Sevilla midfielder Steven N’Zonzi who is also a target of Tottenham and Juventus.
  • Inter could add Joao Mario, Geoffrey Kondogbia, Ivan Perisic or Samir Handanovic in a player-plus cash swap deal to sign PSG’s Angel Di Maria.
  • AC Milan’s signing of Andrea Conti has been delayed as the rossoneri have yet to reach economic agreement with his club Atalanta.

  • AS Roma are in talks to try and sign Tottenham target Gregoire Defrel.
  • Roma are considering signing former Manchester City full-back Gael Clichy.
  • Borja Valero is on the verge of joining Inter Milan from Fiorentina.
  • Torino are on the verge of signing Gabriel Paletta from AC Milan.
  • Basaksehir starlet Cengiz Under,  19, has received four offers from  European clubs, with Chelsea and  Manchester United said to be  keen on the ‘Turkish Dybala’.
  • Paris Saint-Germain are confident of signing Arsenal transfer target Kylian Mbappe from Monaco this summer after a positive meeting between the player, his father and the capital club.

  • Mbappe is a big fan of Monaco team-mate and Manchester United  transfer target Fabinho, which is why the Parisian club are pushing hard for his signature. However, the teenage striker is said to favour another year at Monaco and the Ligue 1 champions are not keen on strengthening a rival.
  • Marseille, looking to bolster their defence under Rudi Garcia, are interested in former Chelsea transfer target Stefan de Vrij. Atletico  Madrid are also known admirers and both clubs have offered a deal of around €20million for the Dutch centre-back.
  • Liverpool transfer target Naby Keita has arrived in Leipzig one week before his club’s summer training is due to begin. The midfielder remains intent on a move to Anfield and this could be seen as the first step towards a deal.
  • Everton are confident of bringing England forward Wayne Rooney, 31, back to the club from Manchester United this summer.
  • Former Manchester United midfielder Ravel Morrison has trained with Birmingham City with a view to a permanent move from Lazio. The 24-year-old previously played under Redknapp at QPR.

  • Atletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone has entered talks over a new contract that will keep him at the club until 2020.
  • Southampton are reported to have won the race to sign exciting young Caen winger Yann Karamoh.
  • Inter Milan are furious with their 28-year-old winger Ivan Perisic after he took part in a professional beach volleyball competition.
  • Newcastle are no closer to agreeing a move for Napoli goalkeeper Pepe Reina, 34, with the Italian club struggling to find a replacement.
  • Newcastle and Watford are both interested in signing winger Kamil Grosicki, 29, who Hull are willing to sell for £9m.
  • Burnley have made an £8m offer for Nottingham Forest striker Britt Assombalonga.
  • Huddersfield Town are looking to beat Swansea City to the signing of Barnsley full-back Andy Yiadom.
  • Middlesbrough have opened negotiations with Norwich City in an attempt to sign 29-year-old midfielder Jonny Howson.
  • Swansea face competition from a number of other clubs, including Leicester, Rangers and Newcastle, to sign Coventry City’s 20-year-old midfielder George Thomas.
  • Birmingham boss Harry Redknapp says he will bring in five or six players this summer with the money he saved by not signing defender John Terry.
  • Championship side Preston have appointed former Norwich manager Alex Neil as their new manager.
  • North End had a vacancy to fill for the first time in four years after Simon Grayson was appointed by Sunderland last month, and they have opted to fill it with 36-year-old Scot Neil.
  • Another Portugal-based player who could swap Iberia for Wolverhampton this summer is Willy Boly, who played under new Wolvesboss Nuno Espirito Santo at FC Porto. The Championship side have offered the defender an improved wage increase but the former Auxerre centre-back is unsure about making the step down in terms of league stature.
  • Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba says he has performed his final ‘dab’ goal celebration and will now focus on his new routine – the ‘Billy Dance’.