Bundesliga result: Newcomers Sule and Tolisso bag debut goals to help Bayern Munich beat Bayer Leverkusen

Bayern munich 3-1 Bayer Leverkusen

Bayern Munich’s newcomers opened the Bundesliga in style as the defending champions beat Bayer Leverkusen 3-1 in heavy rain on Friday night.

Niklas Sule and Corentin Tolisso scored their first goals for Bayern since joining the club this summer, before Robert Lewandowski added a third from a penalty that was only given after a video review.

After Tolisso saw a hard shot saved at the near post in the opening stages, Sule opened the scoring in the ninth minute as he rose highest to head home Sebastian Rudy’s cross from a set piece.

Leverkusen nearly equalised three minutes later but Sven Ulreich, still deputising for the injured Manuel Neuer, stuck out a boot to deny Admir Mehmedi.

But the hosts quickly regained control and doubled their lead on 18 minutes following a corner.

Leverkusen keeper Bernd Leno could only punch the ball out as far as Arturo Vidal, who immediately lofted the ball back into the six-yard box for Tolisso to head in.

The former Lyon man nearly added a second goal five minutes later only for the ball to come back off the post.

By that time the rain was coming down in sheets, and half-time was extended by 15 minutes to wait out the inclement weather.

A video assistant referee (VAR) system was available for the first time in Bundesliga history, and it worked perfectly to award Bayern a penalty early in the second half.

Lewandowski was clearly pulled down by Charles Aranguiz as he chased a cross into the box, and the referee on the pitch awarded a spot-kick after consulting with the off-site VAR.

The striker converted it himself to put Bayern 3-0 up in the 53rd minute.

Leverkusen squandered a gilt-edged chance soon afterward as Ulreich saved Julian Brandt’s shot and Dominik Kohr’s follow-up was cleared off the line by Joshua Kimmich.

But the visitors were able to convert on their next opportunity in the 65th minute as Mehmedi launched a first-time rocket into the top corner inside the near post.

Kohr flicked a header just wide after a set piece that could have reduced the deficit to one, but Bayern held on to begin the season with three points.

Bayern have won 18 and drawn five since losing to Mainz in March 2016.

Carlo Ancelotti’s side, who were missing a host of key players through injury, extending their unbeaten home run to a 23rd league match. Bayern have won 18 and drawn five since losing to Mainz in March 2016.

Bayern Munich let new signing Serge Gnabry join Hoffenheim on a season-long loan 

​Serge Gnabry has joined Hoffenheim on a season-long loan from Bayern Munich.

The Germany international, who left Arsenal for Werder Bremen last August before joining Bayern earlier this summer, is being loaned to Hoffenheim until June 2018.

A statement on Bayern’s official website said: “Serge Gnabry is moving from Bayern Munich to fellow Bundesliga side Hoffenheim on loan with immediate effect.

“The 22-year-old, who played for Werder Bremen last season and signed a three-year deal at Bayern in June, is being loaned out to the Europa League participants for one year until 30 June 2018.”

Bayern chief executive Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said the move came due to Gnabry’s desire for more playing time.

“Serge expressed a wish to go out on loan for a year in order to get more match experience,” Rummenigge said.

“He’s guaranteed to get that at a high level in Hoffenheim. After a year Serge will return to FC Bayern.

“On behalf of the club I wish Serge Gnabry all the best in Hoffenheim and also thank Hoffenheim for the earnest and constructive discussions which led to this agreement.”

Matthias Ginter leaves Dortmund for Moenchengladbach 

Borussia Monchengladbach have completed the transfer of Germany international Matthias Ginter from Borussia Dortmund, pending a medical.

The 23-year-old defender joins the Foals on a four-year contract for a reported transfer fee of €17 million plus add-ons.

The centre-back, who at Dortmund also played in holding midfield and at right-back, had also been linked with Hoffenheim and Tottenham Hotspur.

“Matthias Ginter approached us with his wish to leave the club because of the competition in our defense, and meet with his wish,” BVB sporting director Michael Zorc said on the club’s official website.

Having joined Dortmund from Freiburg as an unused member of Germany’s World Cup-winning squad in 2014, Ginter never really settled at the Westfalenstadion despite making a total of 103 appearances in all competitions.

Ginter has won 14 caps for Germany, and featured for Die Nationalmannschaft in their recent triumphant Confederations Cup campaign. He played the entirety of every match except for the first group stage game against Australia.

The defender also won the silver medal at the 2016 Rio Olympics with Germany.

German fourth-tier clubs against plans for Chinese U20 to play in their league

​A German FA (DFB) plan to grant China’s under-20 team a place in one of Germany’s regional fourth divisions, the Regionalliga, has been described as “a circus” by the president of one of the fourth-tier clubs.
Only 19 teams have qualified for the regional southwest division of Germany’s fourth tier, and to even out the fixture list the DFB has invited China’s U20 team to join.

The move would allow China to prepare for the 2020 Olympics, but Oberhausen’s Hajo Sommers told Reviersport: “The league turns into a circus so Bayern Munich can sell more jerseys in China.”
Christoph Radtke, the office manager at Pirmasens, relegated from the southwest division last term, told Zeit Online: “I am lost for words. We are all gobsmacked here.

“Regionalliga includes the word regional. We are one of the two to three amateur sides, and are thrown of the league.

“Six clubs have been relegated, and now the DFB invites the Chinese national team. We must put up with it, but it’s pure capitalism.”
Rot-Weiss Essen also hit out at the plans, which could be made official during a state visit of Chinese President Xi Jinping to Berlin on July 5.

“There are more pressing issues in the Regionalliga than the development of Chinese youth internationals,” Essen president Michael Welling told Reviersport, calling the plan “outlandish and debatable.”

He added: “I don’t know the details of the deal. But I don’t think the DFB are doing themselves a favour.”

Leipzig sign Bruma from Galatasaray 


RB Leipzig have confirmed the signing of Galatasaray forward Bruma on a five-year deal.

Bruma, 22, joins the Bundesliga runners-up as they prepare for a debut Champions League campaign.
“With his footballing abilities and his physical prowess he perfectly fits our style,” sporting director Ralf Rangnick told the club’s official website.

“He’s pacy, has a strong technique and a superb drive towards goal. We are glad to have purchased a player with auch talent. Bruma will offer more options in our attacking play and give us more flexibility on the no. 10 positions.”
Bruma joins 18-year-old defender Ibrahima Konate, who was signed  from French Ligue 2 side Sochaux-Montbeliard.

Schalke sack Markus Weinzierl, appoint 31 year old Dominico Tedesco 

Schalke sacked coach Markus Weinzierl one season into his three-year deal on Friday and appointed Dominico Tedesco in his place.

Weinzierl, 42, departs after the Bundesliga club failed to reach a European competition for the first time since 2009.

Dominic Tedesco, who arrives from second-division side Erzgebirge Aue, signed a two-year contract

The 31-year-old only joined the then-rock-bottom club from Hoffenheim’s academy in early 2017, but secured them another year of football in the 2. Bundesliga with 20 points from 11 matches. He previously coached the junior ranks at Hoffenheim and Stuttgart.
Tedesco becomes the second-youngest manager in Europe’s top five leagues, after Hoffenheim’s Julian Nagelsman, who is 29. They are followed by 37-year-olds Manuel Baum of Augsburg and Alexander Nouri of Werder Bremen, giving the Bundesliga the four youngest managers among the top leagues.
“Tedesco does not yet have a lot of experience in the professional field, but he convinced us in the talks about how he wants to shape the sporting future at Schalke. Like many other clubs, we are settling on a very young and very innovative coach,” sporting director Christian Heidel said.
“We examined the whole season to establish the basis for a possible successful coming season for Schalke. The result of our deliberations is that we must make changes to drive the development we want,” said Heidel, who said the decision against Weinzierl was “not easy.”

Former Bayern star Willy Sagnol appointed as Ancelotti’s assistant


Former Bayern Munich right-back Willy Sagnol is Carlo Ancelotti’s new assistant, the Bundesliga champions announced on Friday.

Sagnol, 40, became a firm fans’ favourite during nine years at the club, during which time he won the Bundesliga five times and the DFB Pokal four times as well as the Champions League and the Club World Cup.

The former France international, who left his position as head coach at Bordeaux in March 2016, has signed a two-year deal with Bayern.

Sagnol, who played for the club between 2000 and 2009, said: “I’m pleased to return to Munich with my family. It is a great honour, Carlo Ancelotti, one of the best and most experienced coaches in world football chose me. I’m happy to work alongside him on his team.”

Sagnol speaks excellent German and has a working knowledge of English, Spanish and Italian. Ancelotti’s son, Davide, will continue his duties in an assistant coaching role.
Ancelotti commented on Sagnol’s appointment saying: “After losing two of my assistants, firstly Paul Clement and then Hermann Gerland, from my training staff, I expressed the desire to sign a replacement for the coming season.”