Sunderland’s assistant manager Paul Bracewell resigns

​Paul Bracewell has left his role as assistant manager of Sunderland with immediate effect.

The 54-year-old, who had three spells with the Black Cats as a player, returned to the club in a coaching capacity in 2013, taking up a role within the academy.

Bracewell was promoted to the first-team coaching staff in 2015, becoming assistant to then-manager Dick Advocaat.

He also served in that role under Sam Allardyce and David Moyes.
“It has been a great honour to serve Sunderland AFC as a player, coach and assistant manager for a combined total of 10 years,” Bracewell told the club’s website.

“I would like to thank the club and its staff, but also the supporters for the great backing I have received throughout my Sunderland career.

“I now look forward to the next challenge in my football career.”

Spanish youth coach sacked after 25-0 win


The coach of a Spanish youth team has been sacked after a 25-0 win – because the club’s management decided the margin of victory went against the spirit of the game.

After defeating fellow Valencia side Benicalap C on 3 June, Serranos B’s under-11 manager was removed from his position.

“We believe in encouraging respect for your opponents. After the result, we decided that the manager should leave,” Pablo Alcaide, who helps run the side, told El Pais.

However, the Spanish newspaper also published comments from the manager’s lawyer, who insisted his client had not pushed players to score as many as they could.

The manager instead instructed his side “to pressure only in their own half” in the eight-a-side game, but Benicalap C “continued to attack and left spaces in behind”, the lawyer said.

The game was Benicalap C’s final match of the season. They finished bottom of the league with zero points and 247 goals conceded from their 30 matches.

El Pais reports that such one-sided scores are not infrequent in Spanish youth football, but many clubs stop counting once they have scored more than 10 goals.

Southampton sack manager Claude Puel 


Southampton have sacked manager Claude Puel after one season.

The 55-year-old Frenchman’s future had been in doubt despite Saints finishing eighth in the Premier League and reaching the EFL Cup final, having succeeded Ronald Koeman who left St Mary’s for Everton last summer.
And a club statement on Wednesday read: “Southampton can today confirm that it has terminated the contract of Claude Puel with immediate effect.

“Everyone at Southampton would like to express our thanks to Claude for his hard work and commitment this year. We wish Claude well for the future.
“The search for a new management team is underway. We are confident that we will find the right fit in line with the long-term vision of the club.”

Shenzhen sack Sven-Goran Eriksson, by poem, after six months

Sven-Goran Eriksson has been sacked by Chinese second-tier side Shenzhen after just six months in charge.

The Swede replaced ex-Netherlands midfielder and AC Milan coach Clarence Seedorf as Shenzhen boss in December.
And the Guangdong-based side announced his successor in poem form before they had even confirmed Eriksson’s departure.

They have now documented the former England boss’ departure after a poor run of form to add to their earlier ditty.

The 69-year-old was appointed in December and  tasked with getting the club into the Chinese Super League but they failed to muster a promotion charge and he has been axed after a run of five wins in 13 games.

“The negotiations between the two sides were very smooth, leaving only some details to be completed by lawyers,” read a statement on the club’s website.

Before that though a poem was posted on their website welcoming former coach Wang Baoshan, it read:

“Eleven years ago, you led Shenzhen football and never let us down.

“Nine years ago, you took over responsibilities and saved Shenzhen football.

“Memories of fighting together have never gone away, and now we recall the legend.

“For Shenzhen, we are reunited, starting a new trip together.

“Coach Wang, welcome home.”

Schalke sack Markus Weinzierl, appoint 31 year old Dominico Tedesco 

Schalke sacked coach Markus Weinzierl one season into his three-year deal on Friday and appointed Dominico Tedesco in his place.

Weinzierl, 42, departs after the Bundesliga club failed to reach a European competition for the first time since 2009.

Dominic Tedesco, who arrives from second-division side Erzgebirge Aue, signed a two-year contract

The 31-year-old only joined the then-rock-bottom club from Hoffenheim’s academy in early 2017, but secured them another year of football in the 2. Bundesliga with 20 points from 11 matches. He previously coached the junior ranks at Hoffenheim and Stuttgart.
Tedesco becomes the second-youngest manager in Europe’s top five leagues, after Hoffenheim’s Julian Nagelsman, who is 29. They are followed by 37-year-olds Manuel Baum of Augsburg and Alexander Nouri of Werder Bremen, giving the Bundesliga the four youngest managers among the top leagues.
“Tedesco does not yet have a lot of experience in the professional field, but he convinced us in the talks about how he wants to shape the sporting future at Schalke. Like many other clubs, we are settling on a very young and very innovative coach,” sporting director Christian Heidel said.
“We examined the whole season to establish the basis for a possible successful coming season for Schalke. The result of our deliberations is that we must make changes to drive the development we want,” said Heidel, who said the decision against Weinzierl was “not easy.”

Garry Monk resigns as manager of Leeds United

Garry Monk has resigned as manager of Leeds United, with the club “shocked and disappointed” by his decision.
A statement issued by Leeds on Thursday afternoon added that Monk’s resignation was “reluctantly accepted” by chairman Andrea Radrizzani.

The former Swansea manager was only in charge at Elland Road for one season, after replacing Steve Evans last summer, but guided Leeds to a seventh-place finish in the Championship, missing out on the play-offs by five points.

After such a promising campaign, he was expected to sign a contract extension to remain with Leeds but Monk has decided against it.

His departure comes just a day after the controversial ownership of Massimo Cellino came to an end.

In a statement, the club said: ”Leeds United can confirm that we have received Garry Monk’s resignation from his role as first team manager.

“We are shocked and disappointed by Garry’s decision but his resignation has been reluctantly accepted by chairman Andrea Radrizzani.

“Andrea made it clear to the media yesterday that his intention was to exercise the club’s option to extend the manager’s contract for another 12 months and immediately begin negotiations for a longer term deal.

“Mr Radrizzani has met with Garry twice since taking over at Elland Road earlier this week and during the second meeting yesterday it became clear that Garry was considering life beyond Leeds United, as at no time did Garry wish to discuss terms for a longer contract.

“Following that meeting yesterday Garry’s agent requested that the option was not exercised and his resignation was received this morning.
“Whilst we are deeply saddened by Garry’s decision, there is no individual bigger than our club and we will now begin a process to identify and appoint a new head coach to take the club to the next level.

“We thank Garry for his contribution during his time at Leeds United, we are disappointed that we could not continue on this journey together.”
Ex-Boro boss Aitor Karanka is the favourite to replace Monk at Elland Road.

Marco Silva leaves relegated Hull City


Hull City have confirmed that head coach Marco Silva has left the club.

Silva departs Humberside, along with assistant head coach Joao Pedro Sousa and goalkeeping coach Hugo Oliveira, after rejecting the opportunity to remain at the KCOM Stadium.

Silva had been at the club for four and a half months, after replacing Mike Phelan, and a statement from Hull reads: “Although disappointed by Marco’s departure, we would once again like to place on record our appreciation of his efforts and those of his support staff.

“Despite only being in charge for a short period of time, the 39-year-old became a firm fans’ favourite and will be forever remembered for his efforts to maintain our Premier League status.”

“The Club will now undertake a thorough and considered recruitment process to appoint a replacement.”
Silva has been widely linked with a move to take over Porto, but sources told ESPN FC earlier on Thursday that Crystal Palace are attempting to scupper the move and bring him aboard to replace Sam Allardyce, who resigned on Tuesday.
Tigers vice-chairman Ehab Allam told Sky Sports News: “The way the contract was structured meant there would be one year left on his contract had we stayed in the Premier League — but with relegation unfortunately he had the option to go.

“He’s been fantastic for us but I accept he’s a better calibre manager than the Championship. I understand why he wants to stay in the Premier League or go to a big European club with the prospect of Champions League football. We’d love him to stay. We’re very sad to lose him but I respect why he’s taken the decision.”

The news is a bitter blow to Tigers fans, who made it clear they wanted Silva to stay during and after Sunday’s 7-1 rout by Tottenham.