Mourinho  not right for Manchester United -Graeme Souness

​Manchester United only appointed Jose Mourinho as manager as they knew they needed a “big name” to rival Pep Guardiola, according to Graeme Souness.

But while Mourinho won both the EFL Cup and the Europa League in his first season, the fact the club finished as low as sixth in the Premier League will have been a huge embarrassment to the club and Souness believes it proves the Portuguese ‘isn’t the right man for United’.

“I didn’t think Mourinho was right for United and I said that from day one,” Souness told Yahoo.

“Because Guardiola was coming in at Manchester City, the people making decisions at Old Trafford felt compelled to go and get a big name manager and they ended up with Jose.

“He has taken on a very difficult job at United and struggled to find his find his best eleven last season, if he ever found it.

“A big concern for me that their best player for most of last season was a 35-year-old in Zlatan Ibrahimovic, with 35-year-old Michael Carrick also one of the top performers.

“Mourinho is used to winning league titles and finishing where he did last season in the Premier League will not be acceptable, but it won’t be easy to put it right.”

PSG’s Angel Di Maria is ‘no Angel’ as he is sentenced for tax fraud in Spain

Paris Saint-Germain player Angel Di Maria has accepted a one-year prison sentence and will pay a total of €2 million in back-taxes and fines for committing tax fraud in Spain.

Di Maria is accused of failing to pay 1.3m euros to the Spanish tax authorities while at Real Madrid in 2012-2013 by giving up his image rights to companies based in tax havens, such as Panama.

The Argentina winger will admit to two counts of tax fraud after an agreement was reached between the former Real Madrid midfielder’s lawyers and the public prosecutor on Wednesday.

However, the deal must be formally processed in a hearing before a judge.

The 29-year-old made a deal with Spanish tax authorities to avoid a trial, with each of the two counts coming with a six-month sentence.
In Spain, sentences less than two years are normally suspended unless the individual has a prior conviction. Hence, Di Maria will avoid jail.

Di Maria left Madrid in August 2014 and signed a five-year deal with Manchester United after a £59.7m deal was agreed.

He would only play for one season at Old Trafford before moving on to PSG in the summer of 2015.

Former Real team-mate  Cristiano Ronaldo is  expected to testify in his  tax case on July 31and Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho has  defended his tax history  in Spain after allegations  of fraud against him.

FIFA clear Manchester United over Pogba’s deal but Juventus face charges


Manchester United have been cleared of any wrongdoing in the signing of midfielder Paul Pogba – but FIFA has opened disciplinary proceedings against Juventus.

It emerged last month that the £89.3million world record deal that took Pogba back to Old Trafford was subject of an investigation, with FIFA asking both clubs for their “clarifications of the deal”.

The enquiry was believed to concern who was involved in the transfer and, in the main, amid reports that Pogba’s agent, Mino Raiola, earned £41m from the deal.

“We can confirm that no disciplinary proceedings have been opened against Manchester United,” a FIFA spokesman told  ESPN .

“We can confirm that disciplinary proceedings have been opened against Juventus FC. We cannot comment further as proceedings are ongoing.”

It has been alleged FIFA’s interest in the transfer could be related to the issue of third-party ownership, although that has been denied by  Raiola.

France midfielder Pogba, 24, is in his second spell at Old Trafford, having left the club for Juventus for £1.5m in 2012.

The France midfielder first joined United from French side Le Havre in acrimonious circumstances in 2009. He returned to the club last summer for a world record fee of 105m euros.

United also agreed to pay Juventus 5m euros (£4.5m) in performance-related bonuses plus other costs, including 5m euros if Pogba signs a new contract.

Chelsea  and Manchester United hold talks with Bayern’s Robert Lewandowski 


Chelsea and Manchester United have held preliminary talks to try to lure Bayern Munich’s Robert Lewandowski to the Premier League.
Sky Sports’ Spanish football expert Guillem Balague believes Lewandowski’s preferred choice at this stage is Stamford Bridge, but United are thought to be very keen on landing the 28-year-old and held talks with his agent on Tuesday.
The striker signed a new contract with Bayern in December, keeping him at the club until 2021, but said recently that he was “disappointed” over a perceived lack of support at Bayern in his hunt for the Bundesliga golden boot.

He told the Polish Super-Express: “I was not really happy with how my team helped me. I was annoyed and disappointed with the team’s attitude.”

And his agent Maik Barthel told German football magazineKicker: “Robert told me that he got no support and that the coach (Carlo Ancelotti) gave no call to help him win the top-scorer title in the last game.

“He was disappointed as I have ever seen him before.”

Former Wigan and United coach Warren Joyce appointed new coach of Melbourne City


Melbourne City have officially unveiled Warren Joyce as their new head coach, with the experienced boss welcomed to the City Academy on Monday.
Melbourne City are part of the City Football Group, run by Manchester City’s Abu Dhabi-based owners.

Joyce, 52, has experience both as a player and later a manager in England and Belgium, including a spell coaching Leeds United’s reserves, two years at Royal Antwerp, eight years at Manchester United reserves, and as manager for Wigan Athletic in the Championship.
Joyce, 52, has been out of work since being sacked by the Latics on 13  Marchafter four months in charge.
The former Bolton, Preston and Hull midfielder arrives in Melbourne as players begin their pre-season training, and will work alongside assistant coaches Michael Valkanis, Joe Montemurro and goalkeeping coach Joey Didiluca.
“I am delighted to be joining Melbourne City Football Club at this time in its evolution,” Joyce said of his appointment.
“The people at the club, their vision and their values together with the opportunity to help develop and build this team to its full potential meant that this was an offer which was impossible to turn down. I can’t wait to get started.”

Simon Pearce, vice-chairman of Melbourne City, added: “In Warren Joyce, we have a manager with a long and distinguished footballing career, who has proved himself, in many different environments, as both a pragmatic manager and a versatile, driven coach.

“His career achievements, and the many coaching partnerships he has had in the past, suggest an ideal cultural and tactical fit for Melbourne City.”
Melbourne City won the Australian Cup last season but sacked coach Michael Valkanis after a poor A-League play-off campaign ended with elimination by Perth Glory.

Cristiano Ronaldo’s Real Madrid exit rumours 

  • ​Manchester United are lining up a sensational £183million, three-player deal with Real Madrid.

  • Manchester City have reportedly  contacted Cristiano Ronaldo amid  speculation he is set to quit Real  Madrid.
  • Chelsea have also emerged as surprise contenders for Ronaldo, with owner Roman Abramovich ready to pay a world-record fee for the 32-year-old.
  • Paris Saint-Germain are prepared to bid €140M and make Cristiano Ronaldo the most expensive player in history, on a salary of €30m per year.
  • Real Madrid say it would take a £350m deal to allow forward Cristiano Ronaldo to leave the club, which they expect to deter Paris St-Germain and Manchester United.
  • But Ronaldo’s advisers say a fee of 150m euros (£131m) will be enough, with the player wanting a “fresh challenge”.
  • Real president Florentino Perez has told Portugal forward Ronaldo that he will not stand in his way if he wants to leave the Spanish champions.
  • Ronaldo will only stay at Madrid if the club agrees to pay his disputed £13m tax bill.
  • Ronaldo’s agent Jorge Mendes is considering possible destinations for his client, while Real, who are yet to receive any bids, believe the 32-year-old may have a change of heart in time.
  • Cristiano Ronaldo has been called by Real Madrid head coach Zinedine Zidane and pleaded with him to stay